What makes New York City the special and massive city that everyone knows about is its abundance of monumental buildings. The city has one of the largest and most varied collections of skyscrapers in the world. It also has an assortment of famous low-rise buildings, adding to New York City’s amazing set of architecture. Some buildings are so glorious that any visitor to the Big Apple must go see them, whether it be because of the building’s history or its magnificent beauty.
- Grand Central Terminal: This monumental railway station was constructed between the years of 1903 and 1913. The transportation hub connects train, metro, car and pedestrian traffic. The building’s façade has large arches held by massive columns, which are topped with sculptures. The inside of Grand Central Terminal, however, is what is most impressive. The high ceiling is painted with a beautiful design and arched windows let the sky’s light shine throughout the concourse. There is a beautiful double staircase made of marble, just like the floors. This terminal is truly a magnificent sight and something all visitors and residents should see.
- One World Trade Center: This beautiful skyscraper is currently being constructed as part of an effort to memorialize and rebuild the original World Trade Center complex after it was destroyed in the attacks on September 11, 2001. Once complete, 1 WTC will be 104 stories, the tallest building in New York City, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and the third-tallest building in the world. The new World Trade Center building is lit up on special occasions in colors that represent those occasions, and it can be seen throughout the city. The skyscraper’s design is also very unique, making it standout from the other towering structures throughout New York City. One World Trade Center should be complete sometime in 2013.
- Empire State Building: This 102-story building got its name from New York City’s nickname, the Empire State. The skyscraper was the tallest building in the world for 40 years until the original World Trade Center’s North Tower was built. After its destruction on 9/11, the Empire State Building was once again New York City’s tallest structure, but not the world’s. However, the towering building was once again demoted to New York’s second tallest building in April of 2012 once the One World Trade Center building reached a taller height. People still regularly venture to the top to get a great view of the city. Some of the things that make the Empire State building a New York must-see are that it has been named one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, the building and its street floor interior are landmarks of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, it was designated a National Historic Landmark years ago, and it has been ranked number one on the List of America’s Favorite Architecture.
- Carnegie Hall: Carnegie Hall is the world’s most famous concert hall, and it happens to be located in New York City and has been there since 1891. This legendary concert hall has drawn in some of the world’s most talented musical artists, setting the standard for excellence in music for many years. Not only has this beautiful building been a staple for some of the world’s greatest music, it has also been a player in the development of American history due to many historic figures making appearances there. Carnegie Hall has three separate performance spaces, and its main hall is known as the most prestigious concert stage in the United States. Besides its incredible legacy, Carnegie Hall’s remarkable architectural design makes this building a must-see. The main hall is stunning and massive, seating 2,804 people on five levels. The foyer is made of marble and there are huge columns with intricate designs etched in them next to towering arches for doorways. Another thing that makes this concert hall so spectacular is its sound. The way Carnegie Hall was built gives it a first-rate sound quality.
- Flatiron Building: This building is considered to be groundbreaking because it was the first skyscraper to be built north of 14th Street and because of its unusual shape. The Flatiron Building is a triangle-shaped or wedge-shaped building and has become an icon of New York City. However, the building brought about major controversy at first. After the building’s construction was complete, it became very successful and attracted numerous artists who used the Flatiron Building as the subject of their work. The building is currently being used for office space.
After visiting these five noteable buildings, I believe that anyone, whether a visitor or full-time resident, will have more knowledge about New York City’s amazing architecture, its history and understand more fully why the Big Apple is such an amazing city.